CSX Corporation launched the company’s fifth annual Corporate Social Responsibility Report, Moving Forward, highlighting progress in 2014 toward company goals related to business performance, employee empowerment, environmental sustainability and community investment.
“CSX experienced one of the most dynamic years in our nearly 190-year history in 2014, and we have many achievements to celebrate,” said Michael J. Ward, chairman and chief executive officer. “Our employees bring Corporate Social Responsibility to life every day by operating responsibly in the communities where we live and work – and we take great pride in that. This report is about our work to meet the needs of our various stakeholders and our plan to continue anticipating the demands of tomorrow.”
Highlights for 2014 performance include:
- Achieved company-record fuel efficiency with the ability to move one ton of freight 483 miles on one gallon of fuel
- Integrated sustainable development practices into the new intermodal terminals in Winter Haven, Florida and Salaberry-de-Valleyfield, Quebec
Investing in Communities
- Invested more than $18 million in grants and in-kind donations to nonprofits
- Logged nearly 25,000 employee volunteer hours with service organizations
- Announced 107 projects to build or expand facilities on CSX’s network and partners, which are expected to generate nearly 5,800 jobs in local communities
- Welcomed 27 percent of new employees with military experience
- Doubled conductor hiring in the second half of 2014
- Completed more than 1.6 million hours of employee training
The full report is available for download at http://www.csxcsr.com.